THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
AS REWRITTEN BY DAVID FERRY
‘Twas the night before Christmas,
when all through my pad,
not a creature was stirring,
not even my dad!
Our stockings were hung
on the mantle with care.
In hopes that Santa Claus,
soon would be there.
I laid fast asleep
all snug in my bed,
while visions of Nerf guns
danced in my head.
My mom was out cold,
my dad counting z’s.
Both had asked me
“Sleep in tomorrow...please!”
When out on the lawn
I heard a great noise.
I thought to myself
“It must be Santa with toys!”
I jumped from my bed
and ran to the front door
What I saw next was
a shock for sure.
Nine reindeer pulling
a great giant sleigh.
The one with the red nose was
leading the way.
A jolly old elf was
controlling the set.
And he flew that sleigh
faster than any old jet!
His cheeks were bright red
and his beard a snowy white.
That’s when I remembered
“This is Christmas night!”
He had a large bag
that was red and overflowing.
There were bikes and dolls
and toy cars all showing.
Faster than a blink,
his reindeer they came.
With a shout and a jingle he called them
each by name.
First there was Rudolph, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and Vixen.
Then Comet and Cupid and
of course Donner and Blitzen.
Around in a circle
he disappeared with a poof.
Suddenly he then
reappeared on my roof!
The jolly old man parked his sled
and hopped out.
I would soon learn what his arrival was about.
He climbed down to our front door
and opened it with a special key.
I hid in a closet
so he wouldn’t see.
The plump old man wore a suit
bright red.
“Now what gifts belong here?”
he said.
He reached into his sack
and pulled out a small box.
I hoped for a minute that it wouldn’t be socks.
He tip-toed around
as quiet as can be.
A toy horse for my sister.
A Nerf gun for me!
With each new gift,
he knew we’d love them all.
From the very big,
to the very small.
As he finished the delivery,
he stopped and he looked.
He laughed out loud
as his fat belly shook.
Happy with leaving
lots of treats and toys,
the merry old man
thought of the happy girls and boys.
He ate all our cookies,
then closed up his sack.
With the strength of a giant
he flipped it onto his back.
With a snap of his fingers
and a wink of his eye
it was time now for Santa
to say “goodbye.”
He climbed to the roof
and gave out a shout.
His team of reindeer
then began to prance about.
A few quick steps
then up in flight,
the huge sleigh and reindeer
flew into the night.
He exclaimed once more,
before racing out of sight
“MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL,
AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT
No comments:
Post a Comment